Monday, October 23, 2006

Revolution or Evolution?

"I got a Nikon camera,
I love to take a photograph,
so mama don't take my Kodachrome away."
Paul Simon
Kodachrome, 1973

As a youngster, I remember buying and listening to the 45 rpm of this song oblivious to the fact that someday it would have particular significance in my life. Eventually I had to purchase the LP, and then the 8 track, and then the cassette, and finally the CD and naturally all the accompanying hardware necessary to play this simple memory from my childhood. In a strange sort of way, I feel the same metamorphosis is happening in the photographic world.

We all speak of the digital revolution, but in essence, is that what is truly occurring? By definition, a revolution is a drastic change in a condition, method, or idea; while evolution is the theory that all forms of life originated by decent from earlier forms--photographically speaking, I believe the latter is true.

Even though a major portion of the criteria that was judged in the beginning of my career no longer exists(e.g., print quality, focusing skills, film processing comprehension), contemporary photographers are still expected to exhibit the abilities and knowledge of their predecessors(e.g., compositional awareness, lighting competence, and news value). Therefore I believe the craft of photography is evolving, rather than revolving, and in a Darwinian sort of way, those who refuse to adapt will no longer survive. My mother once told me I was a good photographer, so I know she didn't take my Kodachrome away.

P.S. The photo is of my nephew, Michael Manke, not of me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

You could have told me it was a picture of you, and I would have believed it!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Michael Manke said...

Those were the days. Thanks for the publicity! Your blog's pretty sweet. It's nice to learn more about photography since it's something I might get into again sometime.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home