Sunday, April 15, 2007

#2 - Stealing 2nd

"Holy Cow!" -Harry Caray, late Chicago Cubs broadcaster

Casually mention the words "second base" to any sports photographer covering a ball game under a tight deadline and they're bound to smile. For even though it's considered a cliche' shot(much like the "armpit" in basketball), that frequent but timely 6-4-3 double play with the leaping second baseman and sliding baserunner is an ace-in-the-hole and often the only game action photo an early deadline will allow.

In honor of a new season, I offer my favorite second base photo and an account from two decades ago of perhaps the strangest play I ever witnessed while documenting any sporting event.

With its afternoon schedule, cozy atmosphere, and historical ambience, Chicago's Wrigley Field was a sports photographer's dream venue. My assignment on this sunny and warm June workday was the Cubs versus the Astros, and sipping on a soft drink perched in a third base field box chair, I gazed at the batter's box as Houston's Billy Hatcher slapped a single into the outfield. Then suddenly, like a shot from a starter's pistol, he took off for second base--stretching and streaking, gaining momentum with every stride. Hastily I pointed my 400mm lens towards the runner and zone-focused in on the base just as infielder Paul Noce dashed over to snare the catcher's throw. I can't recall actually "seeing" what happened next, as my camera mirror was flickering in a rapid fire sequence of film frames, but I can remember Hatcher soaring over the dirt before lunging for the bag. When the dust settled, Noce was tagging Hatcher, Hatcher was clutching second base, and the base itself was resting near the outfield!
The game was halted immediately for infield repairs and a tirade by Cub's manager Gene Michael who insisted the baserunner was out. After a lengthy conference, the umpire and all officials agreed that Hatcher safely stole second base because it never left his grasp regardless of its location(some 5-10 feet from where it really belonged)and even though Noce was applying a tag(but after the play had ended).
Without the luxury of a television instant replay(or a digital camera's preview feature), I left the stadium confused and uncertain about what I would find on my film. But after souping it, I smiled from ear to ear for the decisive moment was recorded and a photo that truly embodied Stealing 2nd was captured!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home